I just discovered the USDA's ChooseMyPlate.gov site. I went there to figure out exactly what a serving size was just to make sure I wasn't cheating. It turns out that they no longer use the phrase serving size, but have recommendations on how many cups of fruits and vegetables you should consume daily based on your age and gender. The site has charts that further define what a cup or half cup is for various fruits and vegetables. Or if you prefer pictures, you can use the fruits and vegetables galleries.I suggest that we use these charts as a guideline for getting our individual daily amount based on age and gender, and determining our points rather than saying, eat at least three or four "servings". What do you guys think?
I'm okay with changing our goal to 2.5 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruit. I think I'll have to eat even more veggie than I have been if do, though, because I've been counting about 1/2 cup as a serving.
ReplyDeleteMe, too. Should we make the change effective next week, or maybe next challenge?
ReplyDeletePersonally I have liked that we weren't being super picky about it. I have really tried to have decent serving sizes, but I will be discouraged if I have to measure everything and fail because I'm 1/4 cup short.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this Cassie--it was helpful for me to see a visual of the vegetable amounts, particularly the Romaine lettuce. I think I've been underestimating one serving of that. But I agree with Melissa about not wanting to measure everything. I feel pretty good about just being more conscious about trying to get 4 servings of veg. and 3 of fruit in each day, and I know sometimes I've probably underestimated, but sometimes I've overestimated. So I'm good with the honor system, and going with the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law.
ReplyDelete